We left from San Diego on the Carnival Spirit. It was huge! I don't know how those things float! It was a bit chilly and breezy but it definitely was warmer than the place we're use to! We enjoyed fantastic food, good entertainment, and fun activities on the boat. Jeremy got seasick the first night and from then on became an Dramamine patient. Poor guy! Darn that Morriss stomach!
After 2 days of sailing, we arrived in Acapulco. What a crazy, overly-populated city! We were completely bombarded by people that wanted to take us anywhere we wanted to go. (Actually they just wanted to take our money.) Jeremy's Spanish-speaking abilities saved us more than once. Our taxi-driver, Frank was a smooth-talker and you never were sure if he was giving you the real scoop, but even though we didn't really "bond" with him, it definitely was better than trying to navigate that big city on our own. He took us to a fantastic restaurant where we drank yummy horchata and I ate one of the best fajitas I have ever had. One of the cool things that we saw there was these crazy cliff divers that would climb up this cliff 148 ft. high and not only jump but flip off these cliffs into the sea. Nuts!!!
The next day was in Zihuatanejo. (It took me 4 days to learn how to say this name.) This was our favorite place! It was a lot more laid back and beautiful there. We hung out on the beach, played in the ocean, and ate more superb Mexican food. We also went to the markets and just moseyed where ever we wanted. Such a relaxing day!
The last port was Manzanillo. We had a funny day there. We went on a tour that the cruise provided and it had a lot to be desired. They took us to see the sites of the city which was cool but not amazing. Then they provided lunch at this resort. Funny thing--they made it sound like it was all authentic, but it was a joke. It was totally set up for gringo tourists. They had nasty food--Mexican and American. But the entertainment was amusing. They gave out tequila for prizes for bingo. OK. Then they had a pinata that I think forgot to be filled, because I think it had about 10 pieces of candy in it. So at this point we thought it was pretty lame. UNTIL, Dad was chosen to compete against 2 other guys in a competition of tequila-drinking and acting. We were a little nervous about this one and what made us more nervous is he didn't bow out of the competition. The game--Put on a sombrero, act like they were drunk and then say to a guy dressed as a senorita, "Maria, I want my tequila", then drink the tequila, give a Mexican yell, and then dance with "her." Well this is what Dad did . . .
Basically he told "Maria" that he wanted her to drink it. And she did. I guess his Spanish and acting was convincing enough that he won!! His prize:
Congratulations, Dad! Does tequila work as good as vodka when it comes to being an anti-septic? Or will that become a white-elephant present?The rest of the cruise was wonderful. We ate, we read, we ate, we played games, we ate, we slept, and we ate. I think it is good that we don't own an ice cream machine. We spent a lot of time there! We tried some new foods--lobster, escargot, fillet minot, and duck. When are we ever going to try those things? On the last day of our cruise we celebrated my birthday. Jeremy and my mom surprised me with a trip to the massage spa on the ship. It was AWESOME!! I think I will be asking fora massage again! So much fun.
I will have to say that I feel refreshed and ready to face 30-40 degree temperatures again. I have a renewed enthusiasm for grilled cheese sandwiches and changing diapers. What a great time and would love to do it again.

4 comments:
Your post is awesome! I'm so glad you guys had so much fun! What is the going rate on friend cruises?
Sounds awesome!! Only a little jealous here!
Sounds like a great vacation - just what you deserve.
That was a great post! Glad you had a fun relaxing trip and that Jeremy knew Spanish to keep you from being scammed. :)
Post a Comment