Tuesday, June 2, 2009

One step forward, three steps back

Can I just vent for a minute? I realize that my child probably won't go to kindergarten wearing a diaper but man alive, it sure feels like she will! We were doing relatively well in the potty training department with Makayla. She would have an accident now and again but she was doing the potty thing well and loved wearing big girl panties. About a week and a half ago she was hit with a stomach bug or something and that has ruined us! First she was holding it for 5-7 hours at a time and now she has no desire to go potty. She waits until she has her diaper on for nap to do #2 and has had at least an accident a day. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! I know this will pass, but she doesn't even care that she is having the accidents and isn't bothered by the yucky diapers. I thought I would just drop it and not pressure her, but it frustrates me that she has completely gone backwards! She is now in pull-ups until she can show me that she can go a couple of days without having an accident. She is now saying that she is a baby and needs diapers. Can we say power struggle?! I love 2-year-olds!

3 comments:

Jamie Sue said...

Oh, no fun! Potty training is the pits! Good luck, I'm sure you will find something that works for both of you. Maybe since she wants to be a baby and have diapers, she can lose her 'big girl' privileges and in order to get them back she has to be in big girl panties. I don't know, but I do know it is very frustrating!

Meridith said...

My best success was getting rid of pull-ups entirely and making a reward chart with something big when they finished. It's more work but it doesn't drag it out as long.

Kellianne said...

OK, can I say dejavu of Kenzie?! I'm so sorry! We went through months of power struggle with that girl! The things that finally worked is bribery (it has to be something they REALLY want), cold baths and letting her know in no uncertain terms that it was totally up to her and I didn't care if she pooped in her panties and got a cold bath or in the toilet and got a treat. Good luck! I have to say I'm glad we're through that one for a while!