Sunday, November 15, 2009

City Slickers!

When you look up the definition of "city slicker" in the dictionary these pictures will be there:

I am one of the Activity Day leaders in my ward. It is one of my "dream callings" and I LOVE it. We just hosted a Daddy-Daughter Date this last Friday with a western theme. The girls brought their dads in their best western garb. If the dads and the daughters were dressing up, we thought we should too. Only one problem--I don't own one article of cowboy(girl) clothing. Never fear, that is what a best friend is for! Tera, champion rodeo gal was willing to part with her coveted champion goat-tyer belt buckle, boots, and shirts. Jeremy even scored a belt buckle from her too. (However, he never could figure out how anyone in their right mind would wear one because the thing was so huge it just cut him in the stomach.) I found some cheesy hats at the dollar store, a bandanna or two, some pig tails and we were stylin'. I don't think that Jeremy is ready to hang up his electronic gadgets for chaps and a saddle, but we had a great time.

Jeremy went as a "substitute date" for girls with a dad with more than one daughter. He was a good sport. These weren't his girls and many of the activities were out of his comfort zone anyway. We ate chili, corn bread, and pie for this fun occasion. After the men were stuffed to the brim, we "delighted" them and their daughters with various activities such as: the stick pull, learning to dance the Virgina Reel, the potato relay race (absolutely the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!), blind folding the girl and having her shave the dad, racing to see who could tie a tie the fastest along with the dads making a pony tail and painting fingernails, and other fun, cruel games that we could inflict on the fathers. The girls had a ball and the dads would groan about the activities but we could tell DEEP-DOWN they loved it. So much fun! I can't wait till my girls can do this with their daddy someday!

7 comments:

Brant and Jana said...

How fun! Ria was sad to miss it and can't wait for the next activity day!

Kate said...

Love the Cowgirl getup!! I totally want to be a cowgirl!

Kristi said...

How fun!!! I loved activity days! It is such a fun calling!!!!

Katie said...

Jamie, You are so cute and creative! I hope they don't release you anytime soon because Hailey is going to love activity days with you. She turns 8 in April.

DHCHWinn said...

How funny, good job at looking 'western'!!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

What a fun activity! I too am the activity day leader in our ward. Maybe we need to swap some ideas. I bet the girls absolutely LOVE you!

Monica said...

You guys look adorable...good thing for Tera. I think Jeremy looks great for a not-so-cowboy personality!