I doubt this post will come out cohesive or even coherent, more like confused and convoluted but I need to write down what I am feeling before I can go to sleep. I have been given a task in the ward that to some is nothing, but to me, it has been like building the ark. I have been asked to plan the Ward Christmas Program/Party. Now to some that is not a big task, especially because I don't need to plan the food or advertise, but to me, it is overwhelming and scary, especially when I was asked less than 4 weeks prior to the event. Now I am not complaining, just stating a fact that I am definitely being stretched and very much humbled with this assignment.
When leading something like this there is always a temptation to just run it yourself. After all, you know how you see it in your mind and you can carry it out. I am so grateful I didn't succumb to temptation, but rather, opted for the committee. I was given the opportunity of picking anyone in the ward to be on my committee, I picked 4 people that I truly thought could help aid me in this endeavor. They all have different talents and abilities. Most importantly, they are willing to serve. I couldn't have been more right in my choices. I stand in awe of their strengths, experience and willingness to give it their all for this short-notice program. I had an idea, and thought it was planned out to the best of my abilities (not all the details, but it was straight in my inexperienced mind). I couldn't have been more off-base and naive. After talking things over, brainstorming, and problem solving, the theme I had is still the focus, but it is so much more simple, stream-lined, and attainable. I sat in awe at the willingness of this committee to work together to give value to each others' opinions, while being honest and realistic in their feedback. Once we had a unified direction, it took no time for people to volunteer for different assignments. I truly feel blessed and humbled to see them in action.
I know these people probably won't ever read this blog, but I truly feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for them. I know the reason why Heavenly Father wanted me to be in charge of this assignment. It was not only to create an amazing, never-forget Christmas program, (it will be stellar) it was to teach me how as a leader I am blessed to be lead by others. What a fantastic learning experience He has given me!
12 years ago

1 comment:
Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment