Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm back...

After taking a long hiatus from blogging, I'm back. I had to blog about something that has been significant in my life recently. Many of you know that I like to run, well not run, maybe jog, well maybe not even that, I look more like a little, old hunched-over lady shuffling. Not exactly the picture of the tanned, toned, in-perfect-form runner on the "Runner's World" magazine but I get from "A to Z" in a shorter time than a walker. You get the picture. I enjoy running, most of the time. It gets out some frustration, it requires a lot of mental strength and focus, and no one can deny how good the runner's high feels afterwards. I started running about 3 years ago when my friend told me it was a good way to lose weight and I have enjoyed it ever since. I hated running as a teenager or even as an adult but after I had kids it has been a great outlet for me to have complete "me time". I have run a few races here and there mostly 5K and 10K's. But my uncle, who loves to run, talked me into thinking I could run a half marathon. What!?! I didn't think that would be anything I ever would or could do. But he gave me some literature to help me prepare anyway. Little did I know how addicting this would all become. So after running a couple more smaller races, dropping 25 lbs., and training on the treadmill and outside on some very cold Saturday mornings, I did it! Yesterday I ran and finished my first half-marathon!

We went to Lake Havasu City, AZ, 3 hours southwest of Flagstaff. It gets pretty hot there and had been in the 90's all week, but I am sure, just for me it cooled down into the 50's. Perfect running weather, except some wind and a bit of rain, but it wasn't bad. We took the kiddos and stayed in a hotel the night before, they were in heaven. They love hotels and free continental breakfasts. I wasn't as excited about breakfast but put it down anyway. We got to the race a couple of minutes before it started, a little too close for comfort but it turned out okay. Running from the parking lot dragging Makayla turned out to be a great warm-up. As the race started, the first 100-200 yards I felt this overwhelming feeling of "I can't believe I am doing this! I can't believe that my body is strong enough to endure the training that I have put it through to get here." I had such an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the opportunity to participate in something that I never would have dreamed I could do. I also felt an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my body and what an amazing gift it is from Heavenly Father.


Well, during the race I felt great! It is amazing what oxygen does for the body! I am used to running at an elevation of 6500 ft and I was racing at sea-level. My goal was to run it completely (no walking or stopping) in 2:05-2:10, as this would push me comfortably. They had designated pacers that would run at a 1:45, 2:00, 2:10, etc--paces to give you an idea what your time would be. I felt if I could just keep an eye on the 2:00 pacer I would be fine. Well, something magical always happens to me at miles 4,5, and 6 when I have trained with my long runs. I feel amazing, almost like my legs move me and I don't have to concentrate at all. A type of runner's euphoria, if you will. It also helped to see my little family cheering for me at mile 4 with signs. I felt so loved!

Before I knew it I was running alongside the pacer and had a decision to make, if I passed him, I wanted to pass him for good and not fall behind to let him pass me. I decided I could keep the faster pace. So I picked it up and felt good. I did really well until mile 10 when fatigue started to set in but I noticed the pacer gaining on me so I knew I had to pick it up. That was when all the mental strength I could muster came into play. Sure, I needed physical endurance but what the head says goes. I determined that didn't come this far to give up, walk, or pass out. I was going to finish and finish strong. And that is exactly what I did. As I rounded the corner, I was surprised to see the finish line clock at 1 hour 57 minutes! I was going to finish at least 10 minutes faster than my original goal! My ending time was 1:57:34. I couldn't be happier for my first half-marathon. You better believe I am tired and a little sore, but it was well worth it! As for a full-marathon, it is not on the radar right now. They are a little too brutal in my book and take a lot of time to train, but maybe I will branch out and do a triathlon or something different. I will definitely do more half-marathons, I am officially hooked! Thanks Uncle Lynn for inspiring me to do something more than I ever dreamed of doing! Also thanks goes to my friend Tera for giving me encouragement and expert advice. You know your stuff girl! Last but not least, Jeremy been amazingly supportive, encouraging, and patient throughout the good, bad, and the ugly of my training. I couldn't have done it without you, Sweetheart! Thank you for helping me achieve my goals.
Finishing strong, tired but strong

Makayla at Lake Havasu

Classic Natty pose

Carter in his happy place, the kid loves water.

6 comments:

Tera said...

I am so proud of you! Way to go! And girl you look GOOD!

J S said...

Wow! way to go Jamie.

Brant and Jana said...

Awesome Jamie!

Katie said...

Wow Jamie! So inspiring! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

so awesome! your kids are so cute. i love the natty pose.

Sharon said...

Way to go Jamie! That is awesome.