Monday, April 18, 2011

Happiness is . . .

Here's a philosophical blog posting for you! I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately. It has been very beneficial for me but might be a bit dull to anyone that comes in contact with me while in my contemplative moods. For this I apologize upfront. I have been studying the Atonement recently, mostly to prepare for the Sharing Time I gave last Sunday, but as we all know, the teacher learns more than the students. I have been pondering my worth, my happiness, and my purpose. I have been working on looking at myself through honest, clear lenses and then applying those lenses to see those in whom I come in contact with. I have realized the only way to see myself and others clearly is with the pure love of Christ. His perfect understanding of my situation, his merciful forgiveness, his gentle coaxing to motivate me to serve and to love, and his quiet peace is THE only way to feel true happiness. The more I try to understand and fathom the price the Savior paid for me, the more I realize my short-sightedness to what it really entailed. While I truly do not comprehend the depth and breadth to this infinite sacrifice, there is one thing I do know--IT IS REAL. Saturday night while pondering my lesson, I had such an overwhelming feeling of peace, gratitude, and complete love. I was brought to an awareness of a few things that bring me happiness. Here they are:

1. The Atonement of Jesus Christ. I make so many mistakes and sins. Try as I may to fix these wounds and mistakes, I still come up short. Hurt feelings, derogatory thoughts about myself, impatience with my loved ones cannot be fixed on my own. They are only healed and corrected as I come to the Savior with humility and willingness to do His will on His time. It is a hard lesson to learn, but very worth it.

2. My sweet family. These wonderful people light up my day. The pictures describe more than I ever could. I am blessed tremendously to be loved and taught by them. I truly do not have the words describe the love that I feel for them. I don't know how I was fortunate enough to be placed here with them as my guides and companions.
 

 

 

 

 


3. My trusted circle of friends. They act as shining beacons of happiness to me. They are compassionate when I am weak, they bring a smile to my face on good days and bad, they act on spiritual promptings, they are real and true to themselves and others, they listen, they understand, they advise, they are strong in their convictions, they are a joy to be around, they remind me what is really important. I considered naming names and showcasing the good deeds, but if you are reading this you are one of the people that I have described above. You know who you are and I am truly grateful for your love and friendship in my journey of life.

I know that there are myriads of things I could list that contribute to my happiness and for that I am truly grateful. How blessed am I to have so much! I love this quote from a book I am reading:

Happiness . . . is more like a decision than a condition. It is a decision anyone can make, anywhere, and at any time. For it is not the enjoyableness of objects or activities or opportunities that makes us happy or unhappy; rather, our happiness, rooted in our relationships, makes objects and activities enjoyable. Things, events, and opportunities have no value in and of themselves; they get their value from the significant part they play in our key relationships with others. (Bonds That Make Us Free, pp. 53-54)

The things, opportunities, and events that I am blessed to be apart of are wonderful. But they don't mean anything without being tied to the people mentioned above. That is what gives life meaning. That is what makes me happy.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

What a sweet post, Jamie! And I LOVE the pictures. Your kids are adorable!

Katie said...

Beautiful Jamie

Jackee said...

I love that quote and your thoughts are so well described! :o) One of the things that interests me about the Daoist religion is a parallel it has to a Christian's life: we take things unto ourselves--both positive and negative energy--and then it is our decision what to do with it. Return agression with love or hate for hate. Christ is our ultimate example of how to do it the right way.

Thanks for sharing, Jamie! And thanks for finding my blog so I could find yours. Cheers!

Kristi said...

What a beautiful post Jamie!

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and what you learned. It helps us learn too :)

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Beautiful pics and thoughts to go along with them!