Saturday, June 19, 2010

Feeling the Pressure

Don't you love it when you go to the doctor and instead of hearing"This will hurt a little bit." You hear, "You will feel some pressure." Then it hurts like the dickens. Well, I wouldn't call my pressure horribly painful but it definitely uncomfortable. It's a time to grow and be a little stretched to be a better person. (Caution: this blog post is for venting. Just needed to get my head cleared of all the things that seem to be bothering me. I am doing well. This is post is more for me than the casual blog reader.)

1. Pressure in my swollen feet. I have 5 weeks to go in this pregnancy and I was ready to be done 2 weeks ago. When I was pregnant with my girls, I had blood pressure issues that caused me to swell and then because of the threat of it getting bad the doctor induced me early. No go on this one. I am swollen but no health problems. It's good and bad. I am so glad that the baby and I are healthy but I see no end in sight to these elephant ankles that are so painful by the end of the day. Not to mention the exhausting coughing spells throughout the day. Makayla asked me when she has a baby in her tummy if she will cough a lot too. I sure hope not, it's not much fun. Jeremy put into perspective for me last night though. I was so swollen, hurting and complaining to him and he just said, "I'm just glad you could get pregnant. Those years of trying and not getting anywhere weren't fun either." He's right. How grateful that we have this opportunity to be parents when to think that there was a time we weren't sure it would even happen.

2. Pressure to do well. I was just called into the Primary Presidency a couple of weeks ago. I am very excited to serve in this capacity and already know and love the kids. I work with a stellar group of ladies that I know love the Lord and want what is best for the kids and teachers. I just hope I can keep up with them! I know the Lord will sustain me in this calling but at times it is overwhelming because I have no idea what I should be doing most of the time.

3. Pressure to grow. OK so I'm as big as a barge and yet I have this huge desire to get things to grow in our garden and replant the flowers we lost last year. This means being smarter this year: putting in a wonderful drip system, fertilizing, mulching, and getting the kitties. (Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Jeremy for all your hard work.) Things are growing, slowly but surely.

4. Pressure to save. I succumbed to peer-pressure and started using coupons. I have been so skeptical of this and yet I have enjoyed it. I don't how much my girls enjoy the time spent in the stores (actually Natalie has voiced her protest on many occasions during the shopping trips) but I love getting a good deal.

5. Pressure to be a better mom. We have been going through some interesting times here. To potty train or not to potty train Natalie. To put Makayla in pre-school or do Joy School. To leave Natalie in time-out all day or not because ultimately that is where she is going several times a day anyway for her wonderful 2-year-old behavior. Am I giving them enough attention? Am I am teaching them enough? Why am I so impatient? Do they know that I love them?

6. Pressure to get everything done. To say that I am nesting is an understatement. I have sold several items on Craigslist and would like to get rid of a lot more. I need things completely re-arranged, organized and cleaned. (Perfectionist side shining through.) Where's Peter Walsh from TLC's Clean Sweep when you need him? Problem with that is time and the energy. Jeremy, bless his heart, had me make him a honey-do-list that he could work on this summer to get ready for this baby. It is amazing how we handle pressure--I get overwhelmed and stressed, he goes to work and gets it done. Unfortunately, this baby will come home to a undecorated room but on he will receive a lot of love in that plain room.

7. Pressure to be a better friend. A better friend to my husband that deserves so much more than I give him. A better friend to my family. A better friend to my dear friends that help me so much. I need to work on listening and understanding. I need to work on offering more help. I tend to go through phases where I feel like I can open my home to anyone and can give more service to others then there other times that having a small get-together at my house seems daunting. I'm in the latter phase right now. To all my friends, thank you so much for being my friend when I am not the most lovable person to be around. You are all so good to me.

So there you have it. I am feeling a bit of pressure. Not terrible pain, but just enough discomfort for the need to blow off some steam. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks the pressure will release a bit. But if not, like my Grandma always says, "This too shall pass."

2 comments:

Brant and Jana said...

You are amazing hang in there by Halloween you'll be begging us to come over ;0

Sharon said...

Good luck for the last few weeks of your pregnancy. I found that was the hardest part for me. Hope you feel better now that you vented a bit I I know that always helps me.